For the next FUDCon: open source event recording

Andrew Ross aross at fosslc.org
Thu Nov 19 18:19:12 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I am on this list as well and am happy to answer any questions about the
software.

Recently, Chris Tyler, Seneca College, and FSOSS were kind enough to support
us recording the FSOSS conference in October. Those videos are posted online
now.

We'd love to record FUDCon. Our challenge is that we need to cover some
costs for travel for a few guys familiar with how to set up and run & some
gear. We're happy to reduce costs by using local volunteers and ideally
teach a bunch of people about the software and enable them to go forth and
record other events as well. It takes about 15 minutes or so to learn.

I talked with Paul and few others on this list about doing this earlier with
ePresence. That didn't work out for financial reasons. For reasons explained
in my blog, there were significantly different economics and unfortunate
licensing changes involved. I guess the bottom line is that we need $3K to
cover costs associated with this. If we can raise this or more, we're good
to record and very happy to do so.

Andrew
http://fosslc.org

2009/11/19 Clint Savage <herlo1 at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> > http://www.fosslc.org/drupal/node/596
> >
> > "At FOSSLC, we have been recording events for nearly two years now. We
> > have hundreds of talks available online for free from our videos
> > library. Along the way, as a non-profit organization, we've had to get
> > ruthlessly efficient in how we do things. The technology used to record
> > events is a good example of this. I would like to share the history and
> > progression regarding how we drove down the cost and size of our video
> > recording solution by an order of magnitude in both dimensions. We'd
> > also like to announce a new open source project."
> >
> > The open source project being announced is their talk recording
> > software. It doesn't record full motion speaker video (it streams the
> > VGA output from the speaker's computer instead) but other than that it
> > sounds pretty sweet; might be something to evaluate for the next FUDCon
> > once it's released.
> >
> > --Mel
>
> Mel,
>
> Did you know that we did this last FUDCon in NA?  I recorded and
> streamed a few rooms actually.  Chris Tyler, Colby Hoke and others (I
> forget everyone's names, please forgive me) have also done video
> recording, though I don't know if their entire process was FOSS.
>
> For my part, I used darkice with icecast to stream ogg/vorbis and
> recorded in the same.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Clint

Andrew