Fudcon APAC

James Morris jmorris at namei.org
Fri Dec 3 04:01:05 UTC 2010

I heard that a Fudcon planning meeting / FAD was not accepted as a
mini-conf at LCA next year and thus won't be happening.

The feedback is that they don't do distro-specific miniconfs.  It would
thus seem that an LCA co-located Fudcon is not on the cards.

I feel it's important that we establish a Fudcon event to support and
foster Fedora developers in the region.

Perhaps we could hold a Fudcon in Australia later in 2011?

Or, aim to have one in 2012 just ahead of LCA, to allow people making the
trip from overseas to consolidate travel?

OTOH, LCA is usually held in the local travel high season, with flights
and accommodation often 2x the low season cost.  It may also be better in
terms of regional developer attendance to hold it mid-year, rather than
during the local summer holiday season.

Brisbane is very pleasant in winter -- perhaps aim to hold an initial
Fudcon there in July/August 2011 ?

(My personal preference would be Sydney, but I suspect we'd get more
logistical support in Brisbane).

I would volunteer to help organize the event, in any case.

Please share your thoughts!

- James
--
James Morris