Fudcon APAC

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 06:30:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:53:36PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 09:01 PM, James Morris wrote:
> > I heard that a Fudcon planning meeting / FAD was not accepted as a
> > mini-conf at LCA next year and thus won't be happening.
> >
> > The feedback is that they don't do distro-specific miniconfs.  It would
> > thus seem that an LCA co-located Fudcon is not on the cards.
> >
> > I feel it's important that we establish a Fudcon event to support and
> > foster Fedora developers in the region.
> >
> > Perhaps we could hold a Fudcon in Australia later in 2011?
> >
> > Or, aim to have one in 2012 just ahead of LCA, to allow people making the
> > trip from overseas to consolidate travel?
> Here are my basic thoughts:
>
> The way the schedule is set up now is to have one FUDCon per quarter in
> each region of the world. You can see the schedule here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Premier_Fedora_events#Recurring_Premier_Fedora_Events
>
> Basically the idea is to try and spread them out so that Community
> Architecture's budget can be evenly allotted over the course of the
> year. Right now, the India/APAC FUDCon is slated for being in Q1 of each
> year - and just to clarify, those are fiscal quarters according to Red
> Hat's calendar, so it would be March 1 - May 31.
>
> There are also some subtle differences between a FUDCon and a FAD, which
> you're probably aware of, but I'll also mention for those who are not -
> information about that can be read on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD.
>
> Generally, I'd also shy away from combining a FUDCon with a major
> conference such as LCA - people coming to attend FUDCon get distracted
> by LCA activities, and vice versa, and basically the really focused
> things you'd like to do at a FUDCon just don't turn out quite as awesome
> as they could. Same goes for FADs, though I *am* going to just come out
> and say that I think it would be great if you guys could do a FAD
> offsite a day before or after LCA - there is a Red Hat office in
> Brisbane, and if a different location (in a rented hotel conference
> room, etc) couldn't be procured, maybe that would be an option.
>
> I'll also say (as long as I'm giving some feedback on the *current* LCA
> situation) that there isn't a darn thing stopping a group of you from
> wearing Fedora shirts all week and inviting those who you talk to who
> are interested in Fedora to a off-site Fedora pizza dinner type thing on
> a night when there isn't anything going on.  While it may not be as
> formal as giving a nice presentation, it is a good way to get to know
> people and talk to them about participating in various parts of the
> Fedora community, and what opportunities might be there for them. (Plus,
> you could call it a FAN! :D)  The money exists! It can be used!
>
> And now, back to the FUDCon schedule - the LATAM fudcon is already
> scheduled, and I'd imagine that EMEA is planning on keeping their slot
> as well.   I'm not sure what is in the cards at this time for an APAC
> [...]
One further note about this.  I know there was lots of talk at the beginning
of the year about getting FUDCon India to happen this year but I haven't
heard a lot since then....  If you look at the schedule::
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon_organization_process#FUDcon_Team_General_Planning_Schedule

We should just be coming up on the really busy part of the schedule.  Do we
have a location picked out?  have their been bids by hotels and caterers?
What's the status?

-Toshio