Announcement imminent

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Wed Jul 28 20:10:58 UTC 2010

On Wed 28 July 2010 12:38:25 Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:41:11PM +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > Robyn has forwarded a contract with the hotel for rooms.  We are
> > > trying to work out some details on that contract so that we're not
> > > stuck with a bill we can't pay, but (ironically?) one of the things we
> > > could use is a growing list of out of staters that tells us we can
> > > make a specific minimum (like 35, 40, or 50 rooms).
> > >
> > > So I spent part of today working on the FUDCon namespace page for the
> > > event, and will continue to work on it tomorrow so we can announce the
> > > event quickly.
> >
> > Awesome! I've pre-registered, continuing the tradition of being an early
> > bird registration FUDCon party-crasher! ;-)
> >
> > -- Jeroen
> >
> > PS. Flights from overseas (AMS or LHR <-> PHX) look like ~E 600,-
> > anyways. Along with 4 nights in a shared hotel room (~$100,- per night
> > per person), the costs add up to about $1200 just for physical proximity
> > -no drinks included, and boy can I drink ;-) Just giving you a window of
> > reference for international (overseas) visitors.
>
> As I mentioned, part of the planning process is figuring out where and
> how to offer subsidies, full or partial.  We generally offer fewer for
> people outside the region.  In the same way that the EMEA FUDCon is
> trying to spend a little less on bringing USA people in, because of
> costs, the same thing applies to the NA FUDCon.  But we always have
> some international visitors there and can work out subsidies wherever
> it makes sense.
>
> So after our thread derailed (only slightly) ;-) into hotel choice,
> I've had almost no one on the planning committee (Robyn? Ryan? Jared?)
> respond to the original inquiry about an announcement.  Does it make
> sense to just gather names now, so we can move forward more
> confidently with the hotel?

Woops, I missed the question in your original mail ... :)

I think it's a good idea to at least get a rough idea of how many people we
expect because, honestly, I haven't the slightest idea how many rooms we
should get :) And judging by what Robyn told me about the contract we got, I
really think that we should be fairly accurate with how many rooms we ask to
block.

just my 0.02¢ (yes, two hundredths of a cent) :)
Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==