FUDCon organization duties

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 23:56:45 UTC 2010

As many of you know, I've moved into a different position in Red Hat.
One of my responsibilities over the last few months has been to assist
new FPL Jared Smith in ramping up on his many new responsibilities.
Since I've been involved in planning several FUDCons, assisting with
FUDCon Tempe was a natural place for me to pitch in.  After Fedora 14
is released, though, my available cycles for Fedora will change
substantially.

Last week while we were in Westford, Jared and I talked about
transitioning these duties, with him taking over the lead in planning
and executing FUDCon.  Seeing as how I've only been one person out of
a substantial team, I don't think this will have any big impact on
FUDCon Tempe.  We have a great crew in AZ who can get things done for
FUDCon on the ground.  Jared's biggest duty will be making sure all
the details remain properly organized and accounted for, that there
are specific people responsible for carrying out tasks, and that each
of those tasks is tracked transparently.

I look at FUDCon Tempe as being not just about organizing a North
American event, but hopefully (if we do things well) providing a
template for other major Fedora events in terms of transparent
planning.  One of the observations made to Jared and me about events
is that transparent planning makes them more likely to be fully
successful, and embraced by the community.  By providing this
template, I hope we'll enable more of our participants worldwide to
feel they're capable of staging a major event with the full support
and enthusiasm of a great community behind and alongside them.

So, the upshot is that Jared will take over both accountability for
FUDCons and the specific responsibility of running FUDCon Tempe
planning meetings starting on November 8.  I'll stay on the list to
advise if needed, but I'll mostly remain out of the way while the team
Gets Awesome Stuff Done.

FUDCon Tempe is not the only FUDCon activity taking place, of course.
Jared will also be working with the community to decide the location
and schedule for future events.  He'll also ensure the planning of
those events happens transparently through this list, the wiki, and
our fudcon-planning Trac.

Of course, I'm fully committed to helping with FUDCon through the 8th
and will continue striving to get things done for and with you guys.
I'm sure I'll get the chance again in Tempe, but a big thank you to
each and every one of you who've helped with FUDCon tasks, planning,
ideas, and discussions.  You rock!