FUDCon Tempe - Legal side track

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:08:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 04:59:08PM -0700, Adam McCullough wrote:
> On 14 September 2010 16:29, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Paul mentioned that we could talk about some legal education-type
> > stuff at FUDCon.
> >
> > For those who are interested in pursuing it further, ASU does have a
> > good law school, and also has an Intellectual Property program.
> >

> > http://www.law.asu.edu/lsi/CenterforLawScienceInnovation/AcademicPrograms/IntellectualPropertyLawProgram.aspx
> >
> > There is also a "tech services venture program" that might be of
> > interest. Law students participate in this along with students from
> > other colleges; law students participate in things like "licensing
> > strategies" and so that might be another group who would be
> > interested. http://www.law.asu.edu/tvg
> >
> > That said, I'm swamped so if someone else is interested in pursuing
> > the Legal Fun angle, please pipe up! :)
>
> I'd be very curious to hear about this, actually. Good stuff for a coder to
> know. Where should I start, if I want to pursue it further?

Right now, I'm just waiting for final word from Jared that both of the
Red Hat attorneys we contacted can travel to FUDCon, and that at least
one of them is prepared to present some "basic legal training for FOSS
developers."  I'm under the impression that such a syllabus has
already been created, and they are itching to try it out somewhere.
This is a perfect opportunity to do so!

I've emailed Jon Delany at ASU about it, but once we have two "yes"
answers above, we could use some help on the ground at ASU advertising
this in the appropriate departments.  I would bet that undergrads,
grads, and faculty alike would find it useful, especially coming from
practicing attorneys in the field.