EMEA FUDCon 2012, French bid

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 20 11:00:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2011, 21:46 +0100 schrieb Kévin Raymond:
>
>> All is not clear yet, because we want to make it happen with the
>> Open World Forum ("Think. Code. Experiment."). Date and venue are set, but could change a bit.
>
> You mean you want to do it at the very same date as OWF? IMHO this will
> not work out, we tried to do the same with the FUDCon Berlin at LinuxTag
> once and failed. While it got us some attention from LinuxTag visitors,
> it was a serious distraction for the FUDCon.

No, we don't want to make it at the same time… We want it to take
place _with_ the OWF.
I see the LinuxTag as our Solution Linux event, a huge event where
many visitors come to booth or talk.

Here, the OWF is much more workshop/talk, there are only few booth.
We strongly think that our events are complementary, as it is all
about Open Source contribution.
This event will gather a lot of FOSS contributors, much more than
users, but there are users, of course.
Because FUDCon should be close to an other Free event, we choose this
one where we would be able to interact with other contributors.

The OWF takes generally place in 3 days, from the Thursday to the
Saturday. That will let interested Fedora contributors to be at the
OWF of Friday, and we will manage to have separate rooms for us on the
Saturday.
Because FUDCon is a Free event where you don't need to have a FAS
account, I think this would be a major advantage as there would be
gurus in lots of domains there.
On Sunday, we should have the venue for ourselves only, and that could
also be added to the OWF communication (we will think about later,
cause I don't really want to be at the entrance explaining what is
Fedora at potential visitors… Subscriptions would be useful).

> Basically it's 2 events fighting for one audience and we can only loose.
> A FUDCon is not so much about promotion but about getting things done.
> Paris is already amazing enough, so lets not add more distraction from
> work.

Yep, that's the OWF way. "Think. Code. Experiment." We will hack as
usual, let the talk open, and see if other guys want to help. If we
find to much debian there, no problem at all, we would just work in a
different room.

> Just my 2 ¢.

Thanks, I know what should be added in the wiki page in order to have
a clear bid!

--
Kévin Raymond
User:shaiton