Bid for FUDCon EMEA 2011

Gerold Kassube gerold at lugd.org
Thu Feb 24 21:15:47 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 24.02.2011, 14:30 -0600 schrieb Dennis Gilmore:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2011 02:04:54 pm Fabian Affolter wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The bid process for FUDCon EMEA was opened a while ago and so far there
> > are no bids for EMEA. During our ride home from FOSDEM Gerold and I
> > started to think and talk about the FUDCon EMEA 2011 and this bid. Now
> > we sorted your own thoughts and placed a bid for Dublin [1].
> >
> > Actually this bid violates some rules/purposes of the FUDCon Bid process
> > [2]. That's the reason why the bid page is not complete at this point in
> > time. We do not want to spent to much time in evaluating things till we
> > all can agree/disagree that this unusual bid has a chance.
> >
> > Why is Dublin suggested by two guys who live far away from Ireland you
> > may ask yourself? Because the Red Hat Partner Summit 2011 [3] will be at
> > Dublin. And we want to held the FUDCon right before Red Hat Partner
> > Summit. Gerold and I see some advantages if the Red Hat Partner Summit
> > and the FUDCon are close together.
> >
> > So, FUDCon will be organized by Red Hat? Not at all, we think more of
> > cooperation to share resources/costs for those two important events in
> > the Red Hat/Fedora ecosystem in EMEA.
> >
> > We would like to hear your thoughts and objections about this. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Fabian
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_Dublin_2011
> > [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon_bid_process
> > [3] http://www.europe.redhat.com/mktg/partnersummit/2011/
>
> My main concern would be getting it all pulled together and planned in 3
> months when normally its 9 months
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennia and all other,
I organised together with Max (who was the "event-owner" FUDCON EMEA
2007 beside Linuxtag. I can imagine how much work must be done. As
Fabian mentioned, there are some reasons which could make it happen OR
even not. At least we need yout opinion to step in very fast. Red Hat
organised still Hotel for a bunch of persons, organised a location, the
employees (in EMEA) know when and where it happen ...
So the benefit, from having them ALSO at FUDCon could be awsome (not
only while some Red Hat Sales guys think, we're the "Fan Club of Red
Hat") ..
So we also want to have max's and jared's statement about that idea and
maybe Jan Wildeboeur could make his more or less promise happen that he
will get the goal that the Red Hat CEO will give a talk in the
Community.

He will get the floor!

All the best

Gerold