Where we'll be on Saturday

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:09:00 UTC 2011

> Things will also get easier if people arrive on time for the session,
> which was a problem in Toronto.  In part that was because people
> weren't familiar with the travel time from the hotel to the venue, and
> it was a pretty substantial amount of time.  The planners have tried
> to improve that situation as well, in three ways: (1) providing a
> welcome packet at hotel check-in with more thorough information and
> expectations; (2) ensuring the travel time is fairly short, and
> doesn't rely on buses (short, ~10 min walk); (3) providing breakfast
> at the venue, as an incentive.

One argument I can make here is that whether people show up on time or
not (unless it is the majority as it was in Toronto) the event should
start on time.  It's hard for me to believe that with 2 extra hours
(for most East coasters) of sleep and that transit time is only 5-10
minutes of walking at most, this will actually be an issue.

I love the welcome packet idea and think it will definitely help.
Keeping things on-time may mean that a few people miss the beginning
or end, so it might be advantageous to have a true 'Welcome to FUDCon'
presentation at 9am, then get right into the session pitches.
Something where someone gets up and does a nice talk about how FUDCon
works, with bits of humor and other goodies.  It goes over really well
at Ignite[1] events to help the flow of the rest of the conference.

Cheers,

Clint

1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srk_buMw4ck&feature=channel_page