Opening session for Tempe: 0900-1030?

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 8 18:35:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I think there should be no "handoff" for voting.  All speakers are
> responsible for maninpulating the schedule, not just a few minders.
> Greg DeKoenigsberg pointed out that having only a couple people
> working on the schedule is a bottleneck where BarCamp is concerned.
> It's not vital the speakers rush out to tack things up on the schedule
> immediately after a pitch, but it should be the crowd that fixes the
> schedule.  With short pitches, there should be plenty of time for
> voting and rearranging.

It's an inadvertant bottleneck, in that people wait for pitches to be
done, and then they assume "well, we don't need 100 people all
bikeshedding the schedule."

If we want the crowd to be actively arranging the schedule for the
duration of the pitches, that needs to be said so at the very beginning,
and we need to describe the manner in which we want the final schedule
to be constructed, and how that differs from last year in Toronto.

--Max