Opening session for Tempe: 0900-1030?

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 8 18:38:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Jared K. Smith wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The last I heard, it was going to happen at FUDPub rather than trying
>> to wrangle everyone to walk back to ART at the end of Saturday's
>> sessions, which seems like it would be difficult.
>>
>> Jared, is that correct?
>
> That's my understanding.  I don't know how conducive Sparky's Den will
> be to giving a speech, but I'm happy to do it wherever.

Whether or not this is a good or bad idea depends entirely on what you
want the duration, and the content, of your talk to be.

My gut tells me that a speech at FUDPub has to be short, and relatively
high level/superficial, for attention spans and desire to focus one's
brain on heavy issues will be low once people shift into "fun" mode.

What's the first rule about public speaking?  "Know thy room."

--Max