FUDcon LATAM meeting

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:18:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 06:33:12PM -0200, Igor Pires Soares wrote:
> Em Dom, 2011-01-09 às 10:46 -0500, Alejandro Pérez escreveu:
> > First, sorry for delay on this report.
>
> I'm sorry as well because I could not attend to teh last meeting due to
> last minute problems here. I hope we can continue the meetings this
> friday.
>
> > Status FUDcon Panama
> >
> > Ciudad del Saber (Sponsor)
> > Will sponsor space and infrastructure, conference center room for
> > 150-200 people for the first day, 2 rooms of 50 people each for the next
> > 2 days, dgilmore request that we need 2 more rooms or at least one more.
> > This will be talk with them, probably we will get them.
>
> By reading the meeting logs I saw that the idea is to have 3 tracks in
> the schedule. However, this was pointed as one of the downsides of
> FUDCon Santiago [1]. Unless we are expecting a huge public or a big
> number of talks, 2 tracks seems more appropriated. In FUDCon Santiago a
> lot of attendees didn't know what talk to watch due to some of them had
> been scheduled at the same time. As a consequence, rooms had few
> attendees because public got divided. There were also empty slots in the
> schedule, what we should try to avoid as well.
>
> In FUDCon Porto Alegre we had just one track and rooms were full in
> almost in every talk. Maybe it is time to try an approach with 2 tracks
> in order to find the right balance.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Santiago_2010_Wrapup

Igor,

This is a good idea IMHO.  We have found in North American FUDCons
that having too many tracks has another downside.  Not just smaller
audiences, but the people who *do* attend often find there are two
good talks happening at the same time.  When they can't attend both,
it makes the conference less valuable for them.

You can't avoid this problem in every single case, but we found at the
NA FUDCons that the problem was growing too fast.  Partly this is
because we had so many people coming to give good talks!  It's not a
bad problem to have.  The way we solved it was having fewer tracks at
one time, and if needed, having more hours in our schedule.  We went
from 1 day of talks to 1.5 days.  That may not be necessary in the
case of FUDCon LATAM; that's just the way we are trying to solve the
problem for the NA region in Tempe this year.