FUDcon LATAM meeting

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 13 19:27:17 UTC 2011

couple of comments

> I totally agree. This is our biggest challenge. FUDCons in LATAM have
> been too "talk-centric". We need more hackfests, but in first place we
> need to identify who is the public we are aiming at and then who can
> lead this kind of sessions. Secondly, we need to treat those sessions
> accordingly. Hackfests are not common in LATAM and we need to promote
> them in a educative way: explaining what it means, what is needed to
> participate properly and why we need it.
>
> this is a pro and cons, remember that no everyone has a laptop in latam, so
we have to prepare hackfest and workshops where people can interact too. The
change from conferences to more "do" is a win+win, but has to be organized
so all those who really want to "do" can withouth be excluded.

I'm sure that will be a way to solve this since the event will be hold in
"city of knowledge" :D

also, there can be some small talks outside the rooms and use them to
"entertain" to those who are not ready yet to contribute directly to the
Project. Also will be a lot of enthusiastic who doesn't even know what's
linux. So what I believe is that we should manage to focus on make that all
the attendans feel bussy without care their skills.

I know everyone is worried in do, but LATAM is a growing community and we
also must take care of the new talents :)

> This is a really good idea, Dennis. But the organizers will need a big
> help on this because bar camps aren't common in LATAM either. Some of
> LATAM contributors will have this experience in Tempe and this will help
> to improve things. It is also good to have the bar camp process
> documented in FUDCon Panama wiki page in order to inform people what a
> bar camp is about.

A bar camp solution could be set a space for those talks that didn't make
out, or to those people that didn't want to put their names in the wiki. So
everyone could have a chance (using post-it or whatever like) to have a
small conference that can be used to give a chance to new contributors
(maybe smaller conferences/hacklabs) to show their own advances.

I think that as long we take care that everyone (developers, new users, and
curious people) feel that there is something to them, will be a winning
fudcon :)

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro