[LATAM] Meeting 2011-01-14

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Jan 14 23:12:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 05:31:23PM -0500, Alejandro Pérez wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> With the available infrastructure at this point is impossible to have
> the fudcon barcamp style, I don't understand.
>
> What make it impossible to have a fudcon with one room the first day.
>
> Please explain the activities for the first day, what is the plan. That
> is what I have not seem, only room request but nothing telling me why
> and for what they will be used.
>
> There is not plan not really organization for the event at this point
> that I can show to the sponsor so they understand why this changes.

So my thoughts are, and they are just my thoughts. If we have 2 or 3 rooms on
the first day we can start with a introduction followed by people
pitching there talks.  we then go though the barcamp voting and
scheduling process.
we would then have only talks on day 1, day 2 could then be a mixture of
talks and hackfest sessions. and day 3 just hackfest sessions

The reason i asked if its possible to get a computer lab is that based
on past experiences lots of people either do not have laptops or do not
bring them. which can make hackfests a bit harder. but its certainly not
critical we have gotten by without it at the previous fudcons.  it was
identified as a nice to have thing.

If we can only have one room on the first day then we could approach it
by having a list of talks for that day prepared in advance. we could
then do the barcamp on day 2 and hackfests on day 3

What i was getting at and sorry i was a bit terse i had just woken up.
is that when we can only do 1 stream it does not make much sense to go
through the process of presenting your talk proposals. writing them up
and voting on them. because then we can not cater the streams to suit the
different peoples interests. We can only do a single stream.

Dennis