FUDcon Website Idea

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 9 15:41:13 UTC 2011

Hola People!

Today I had a small meeting with Samuele and we talk a bit about FUDcon EMEA
design and some random ideas that I would like to share with all of you (not
only FUDcon EMEA folks).

=== What about have a FUDcon self website? ===

FUDcon EMEA team has been working on a website design that could help spread
the event to non-fedora people (and some locals too) [1]. Site looks amazing
and seems to be really functional. All big and important events have not
only a wiki to describe how is/will be and how to plan it, but also have a
site build to gather atteendees and provide them easy information.

*** Website possible tasks ***
* Provide a friendly and useful website to release information and news
about FUDcon pre/during/post events
* Have a press section with news and general information
* A possible registration form to capture new-contributors/users information
* Photos gathering section (also social networks)
* Contact form
* Sponsors and Speakers small bio
* General calendar with schedules, talks, hackfest and further info
* Something else?

*** Why add a website if we already have a wiki? ***
No... we don't need it... but we are Fedora and we always came up with crazy
ideas.
If we want to spread FUDcon as a great event, we need a self website for
that... period.
Wikis are more for organization and planning and EMEA guys are correct with
the idea of present FUDcon as a premiere event, not only for us but for the
world too.
So.. looking at the mockup... do you like this idea?

*** Implementation ***
* We need a server to hold this, but I don't know if we will use RH/FP
services but I'm sure that a lot of us (including me) will provide this
(admins... little help over here!)
* We should set up a farm for this... so each FUDcon have his own page. This
will help not only to have a better organization, but also to provide a
long-term information and more SEO links to increase FUDcon info traffic (we
want the world to know about us)
* Design is not that reelevant since base mockup is done, we need to add a
new item to FUDcon Planning if this come up - A web mantainer (or at least
someone who writes once per week at this site)
* Are we going to use a CMS or something new? For FUDcon EMEA we have only 3
months so has to be something useful and fast. (I sugest Wordpress since is
easy to work with and friendly-user but if you have more ideas just drop
them here)

What do you people think about this?

[1] http://www.2s-design.it/fudcon_milan/site/template.html
This is my favorite example...  http://www.campus-party.org/home-en.html