Creation of FAD components on FUDCon track

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:23:39 UTC 2011

Em Qua, 2011-06-22 às 16:40 -0400, Paul W. Frields escreveu:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:26:11PM -0300, Igor Pires Soares wrote:
> > I do believe that FADs should follow that lightweight approach, and I
> > see that this have been working pretty well. On the other hand, I see
> > that the lightweight approach works better for standalone FADs. But FADs
> > organized together with other big events such FISL can draw a lot of
> > attention and demand some additional work. Not only because the FAD
> > itself, but due to the characteristics of those events. Separating the
> > FAD organization of the event organization itself might be
> > counterproductive as well, since it usually involves the same set of
> > people, activities and resources.
>
> It makes sense to keep some of the work of FAD organization together
> with the event at which it happens.  As far as I know, though, we
> don't arrange event organization using the fudcon-planning Trac
> either.  I still don't understand clearly the problem we're trying to
> solve here, and this solution seems like it would confuse people as to
> what level of work is required for any FAD in general.

Yes, we don't arrange event organization using the fudcon-planning trac
but IMHO would be nice if we start doing it. That might not be necessary
for all events, but for major events that would be helpful. If the event
is supposed to host one or more FADs a ticket could be opened for them.
This is just an ideia and I see that event organizers might want to deal
with it differently, depending of the event.

> > I'm not sure if the wiki is the best place for some specific details
> > such reimbursements needed, airfare itinerary discussions, etc. It's
> > hard do keep all those things on the wiki. People can erase some
> > information by mistake and the organizational history doesn't appear
> > quite clear as in a ticketing system.
>
> Wiki erasures are pretty rare, and easily fixed, and again, if the
> event is supposed to be lightweight, I would think that organizational
> history would be less of a concern.  If the purpose is to make it
> easier to plan a FAD, shouldn't we just fix the FAD wiki page to
> address that?

Certainly, adding some more information to the FAD wiki page would help.
For instance recommendations to write blog posts, before and after the
event, and to use the appropriated mailing lists to announce it (this
list and a specific one related to the FAD purpose). I know this is a
recommendation for all events, but won't be bad to reinforce it.

More important than that, the FAD wiki page needs to be translated. I do
believe that FAD organization process is transparent, but it needs a few
tweaks to not only be transparent but to look transparent to all. IMHO
translations would help to address that. They would help to avoid
misinterpretation about the organizational process and also provide
easier information for a larger group of people. This is something we
need to work on together with regional communities and I'll keep that in
mind.

> > I just realized that the upcoming FAD at FISL will be the first FAD in
> > LATAM, although we have had really nice Fedora activities at FISL
> > before. I'm not going to attend this year but I'm working on the budget
> > side along with FAmSCo, and I would like to provide proper guidance for
> > LATAM folks and improve the process for the upcoming FAD and next ones.
>
> I think it's fantastic that you're willing to do that, Igor!  I still
> think setting up a bunch more process for FADs, or raising the level
> of organizational work required, is not the right direction to go.
> But perhaps you could start by helping us identify where the current
> FAD setup pages are missing, or unclear, so we can fix them?
>
> Again, just my $0.02 and I thank you for being very thoughtful about
> the discussion!

Thanks for engaging in this thread, Paul!. At first I was just
brainstorming here, but I see that this conversation already provided
some good concrete ideas we can work on. :)

--
Igor Pires Soares
Fedora Ambassador (Brazil) - Member of FAmSCo