APAC Fudcon Bids

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:50:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I just wanted to raise a flag here.
> In the FAmSCo meeting earlier this week it looks like there are a few action
> items for people to forward information or share information about the APAC
> bid recommendation.  I have not yet seen any of that information come
> forward.

Yeah, I'm really wondering who will be winning the bid, or whether it
will happen or not.

> The period tentatively scheduled for the APAC FUDcon is March 1 - May 31.  I
> have *incredibly huge* concerns at this point about the ability to
> successfully pull together planning details for a FUDCon in such a short
> time frame, particularly with details like international travel, visas and
> passports, etc., not to mention simply being able to arrange hosting space,
> hotel blocks, etc.   There are also the additional efforts of going through
> the FUDCon subsidy process, purchasing airfare (which tends to be cheaper
> the further in advance it is purchased), etc.
> I think we all realize that FUDCons require a large amount of effort;
> additionally, they get a large amount of funding, and I know that we would
> all like to ensure that that money is well-used.  If we can't come to a
> decision on the location within the next week, we may need to take under
> consideration the option of deferring the APAC FUDCon until Mar-May of 2013.
>  I don't think this would be a huge loss, considering that we just had a
> FUDCon in Pune a few months ago.  And while I don't want to disappoint the
> people who have been working on bids, I don't want us to wind up in a
> position where we are disappointing a large number of people who are
> investing their time in attending a FUDCon by putting on an event that we
> simply didn't have enough time to organize well, or disappoint the Fedora
> community by not wisely spending money.

For the malaysian bid, we have the space already confirmed. My team
also have experience running local event/conferences under short
period of planning time. With the 2.5 month left, we should be able to
pull it off.

However, I do agree that the last minute confirmation will make
difficult for travellers, and will increase the cost of the event
especially in items related to accommodation, travel and also swags.
Lack of initial session list at the moment might also make it
difficult to promote the event, we need at least some good keynote
titles in order to bring crowd in under a short notice.

> So, please: If there is information, or a recommendation, that needs to be
> passed to FAmSCo, please pass it along including any supporting logs, etc.
> *as soon as possible*, so that people can familiarize themselves with the
> details and be prepared to make a recommendation or decision. I'll be
> attending the FAmSCo meeting to get as much information as I can as well to
> make the final call.

I'm forwarding your post to malaysian-users ML to see what the local
group thinks. Though I personally think its ok if FAMSCo/FPL decided
it to be either this year or next year. I also agree that a longer
period of planning time is less stressful for everyone.


Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail / KageSenshi
Inigo Consulting (FOSS/Plone Development, Training & Services)
Fedora Malaysia Contributor & Ambassador
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

More information about the fudcon-planning mailing list