Funding Approval Meeting for FUDCon Kuala Lumpur 2012

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:03:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 22.03.2012, 22:58 +0530 schrieb Buddhike Kurera:
>
>> IMO, this depends on the way the requests are evaluated.
>> Last time at FUDCon Pune, the requests were evaluated on first come
>> first served basis.
>> If the same will apply on the FUDCon KL, then there is no harm taking
>> requests before the
>> deadline.
>
> Please do NOT go for first come first served. There is a consensus both
> in FAmSCo and in our community that this is unfair and does not make a
> good FUDCon either. We want the smartest and most active people and not
> the people who file their requests first.

agree that a pure first-come-first-serve basis is unfair .. evaluation
will still be done based on the relevancy, contribution, cost
criterion.

having meeting tonight only give a small advantage those those who are
already applied, if the person doesnt meet the criteria, will still
not be approved and maybe re-evaluate on another meeting after the
actual deadline.

we want to approve as many regional contributors as we can, and with
cheap flights starting to fill up / raises price, we want to at least
get those who already met the criteria to be approved early so that we
can avoid having to pay more (thus, having able to sponsor less
people).

> FYI: FAmSCo is currently working on establishing a process to review
> funding requests more based on merits and on what people actually want
> to achieve on the event than on timing. More on this at
> https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/265#comment:2
>
> For the background of this proposal, please refer to
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2012-February/011297.html
>
> Decisions should not be made on timing. As long as someone applies
> before the announced deadline, the timing is absolutely irrelevant and
> instead we should focus on the the people and their abilities.

+1

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866  5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331