Quick question -- room block size for an NA FUDCon?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 12:54:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 02:29:28PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> I'm going to (finally!) be talking to hotels soon for FUDCon Lawrence.
> Any previous planners have any insight on how large of a room block we
> should request?

Hi Ian -- for the last FUDCon I worked on in Tempe, AZ, I believe we
reserved a block of 35 or 40 rooms.  I also asked the hotel about
general availability beyond that, in case we needed to extend the
block.  I also had the hotel verify they'd honor the same rate for any
rooms subsequently added to the block.  Finally, we agreed on a date
when they'd release any unclaimed rooms back to the general pool,
rather than charge for them.  Most hotels will do this as a matter of
course, but it's worth clarifying up front.