Quick question -- room block size for an NA FUDCon?

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Thu May 31 14:23:27 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 05:54 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 02:29:28PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
>> I'm going to (finally!) be talking to hotels soon for FUDCon Lawrence.
>> Any previous planners have any insight on how large of a room block we
>> should request?
> Hi Ian -- for the last FUDCon I worked on in Tempe, AZ, I believe we
> reserved a block of 35 or 40 rooms.  I also asked the hotel about
> general availability beyond that, in case we needed to extend the
> block.  I also had the hotel verify they'd honor the same rate for any
> rooms subsequently added to the block.  Finally, we agreed on a date
> when they'd release any unclaimed rooms back to the general pool,
> rather than charge for them.  Most hotels will do this as a matter of
> course, but it's worth clarifying up front.
That's exactly what we did - and at some point, we wound up getting
rooms at a second hotel as well, just due to the first hotel selling out.

I know at some point you (ianweller) mentioned there might be a football
game going on - any word on that yet? That might affect availability
closer to the event - in which case we'd probably want to start
messaging *now* that people should start reserving rooms, etc.