FUDCon coming this summer/fall?

Ruth Suehle rsuehle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:04:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me and probably others this name conjures up memories of deadlocks
> and head scratching trying to figure out how multiple processes came
> to each hold an exclusive lock on the same file. While the
> possibilities for jokes here are plentiful, is the name actually
> intended to mean something to those who see it?

Yes. The idea sprung from the fact that Fedora and the people who
participate in the project encompass so much more than just an interest in
Linux. Flock is the place you meet with other people (friends! one of those
four Fs!) of the Fedora community who share whatever your interest is,
whether that’s the kernel or the cloud, hardware or UX design, whatever
else. We flock together.

And bonus, no more having to answer, "Why does your conference have FUD in
the name?"

Those of you who think it's easy coming up with a new name a)should have
said so any number of times I've asked around since FUDCon and b)should
spend an afternoon trying to think of good names that aren't already in use.

To answer Eric's questions:

Charleston because someone has space for us. We explored other options, and
they fell through. There hasn't exactly been a long line of placing waiting
to host FUDCons the last few years. If this goes well, perhaps next year
we'll have more money to invest in conference space. However, the more
money spent on that is less money that can be put into bringing
contributors to us. It also, as Tom points out, is a place people might
actually want to go in August. No offense to Kansas, but it's time for
somewhere fun!

As for timing and openness and speed and all that... budget held us up, and
we really wanted this to happen as soon as possible after release to
increase the productivity of preparing for Fedora 20. Without knowing
whether we had any money at all, it's next to impossible to start planning
anything. I've been thinking of this as sort of the "soft launch" of the
event. Because of the time frame and because we've already had a FUDCon
this year, I expect it to be smaller than next year's. But I also hope that
we'll have a lot of people excited about the change and the opportunities
it will give us as well as to be able to say "I was at the first one."

HTH.
Ruth