FUDCon coming this summer/fall?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 12:52:03 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, inode0 < inode0 at gmail.com > wrote:
>

> For me and probably others this name conjures up memories of deadlocks
> and head scratching trying to figure out how multiple processes came
> to each hold an exclusive lock on the same file. While the
> possibilities for jokes here are plentiful, is the name actually
> intended to mean something to those who see it?
>
> Yes. The idea sprung from the fact that Fedora and the people who participate
> in the project encompass so much more than just an interest in Linux. Flock
> is the place you meet with other people (friends! one of those four Fs!) of
> the Fedora community who share whatever your interest is, whether that’s the
> kernel or the cloud, hardware or UX design, whatever else. We flock
> together.
>
> And bonus, no more having to answer, "Why does your conference have FUD in
> the name?"
>
> Those of you who think it's easy coming up with a new name a)should have said
> so any number of times I've asked around since FUDCon and b)should spend an
> afternoon trying to think of good names that aren't already in use.
>
> To answer Eric's questions:
>
> Charleston because someone has space for us. We explored other options, and
> they fell through. There hasn't exactly been a long line of placing waiting
> to host FUDCons the last few years. If this goes well, perhaps next year
> we'll have more money to invest in conference space. However, the more money
> spent on that is less money that can be put into bringing contributors to
> us. It also, as Tom points out, is a place people might actually want to go
> in August. No offense to Kansas, but it's time for somewhere fun!
>
> As for timing and openness and speed and all that... budget held us up, and
> we really wanted this to happen as soon as possible after release to
> increase the productivity of preparing for Fedora 20.

Well, it's quite late for real productivity for Fedora 20(*), at least it should
be coordinated. I understand, it would be too early for June one where it would
make sense but still I miss talking to people in advance - at least to some
of them if not open to community (and I understand the need for budget etc.,
so it would be ok for me).

> Without knowing
> whether we had any money at all, it's next to impossible to start planning
> anything. I've been thinking of this as sort of the "soft launch" of the
> event. Because of the time frame and because we've already had a FUDCon this
> year, I expect it to be smaller than next year's. But I also hope that we'll
> have a lot of people excited about the change and the opportunities it will
> give us as well as to be able to say "I was at the first one."

I definitely like the idea of the one big event and being at the first one ;-) -
what budget do you expect? Speaking both about community guys (I can expect
the money that would be used for FUDCon EMEA could be used as travel budget) and
also internal people from Europe, we usually don't pay from Fedora budget but
we need a coverage. As far as I know, there's no budget allocated and it will
be really hard to get such. Do not take it as critics but as one thing that
has to be solved - otherwise it will end as FUDCon NA and people from
Europe will feel again quite disconnect even it's marketed as global event.

Jaroslav

(*) Fedora 20 schedule is already approved by FESCo, I just did not announced
widely as I'd like to kickoff the new planning process together with it -
hopefully next week if we release Alpha this one - but submission deadline is
one month before the event :(