Games livecd / dvd

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Apr 6 06:23:28 UTC 2007

tim oconnell wrote:
> how about a strictly gaming release of fedora, sort of like a half-life
> mod, where the kernel is streamlined for graphics throughput and

I believe all Fedora releases should have a few things in common, one of
them being the kernel.

> bundled with graphics card drivers (many which are only available after
> you try to play a game, quite annoying) and a myriad of popular games,

Graphic drivers, like proprietary nvidia and ati? Those can't be bundled
due to their license and also they are outside of Fedora's philosophy -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#head-480f1c231662c4279ebc75f7298db407ee0a5593

> all of which should fit on a DVD.  remember, DVD's are frequently
> double-sided and dual layered, giving you at least twice the storage space.

Consider the space needed on the mirrors to carry all those customized
Fedora versions, is highly probable such an image would be ignored by
mirrors and have to be distributed only by BitTorrent.
Also remember those dual layer media are much expensive compared with
standard blank DVD and not all writers can use them.