Packaging the Second Life viewer

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Feb 8 04:10:15 UTC 2007

Okay, I've been working on packaging the Second Life client GPL sources.
Its been a long drawn out pain in the ass... I kinda hope no one else
has done it already. :) I've got it to compile on my system outside of
mock, I'm currently working on getting it to compile in mock.

I've had to package up some deps too: openjpeg, elfio and xmlrpc-epi

Once I get the damn thing to compile in mock I'll make them available on
my web site. Compiling SL seems to take upwards of an hour, and its
build system is breaking ccache...

I'm told the "First Look" branch has separated out JPG2K decode into its
own thread, so it doesn't block the entire client. This should make the
free build usable.

There's also a forked project called OpenSL, however its web site is
rather sparse on details of how exactly it differs from the mainline.

http://opensecondlife.org/wiki/OpenSecondLife