games-menus feedback wanted

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Mar 9 21:03:21 UTC 2007

Michael Thomas wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> HI all,
>>
>> I've been working hard on getting game submenus realised, as atleast 2
>> people here wanted them (Tibbs and Wart), and I must say that I'm a
>> bit disappointed about the lack of feedback.
>>
>> So please do a:
>> rpm -ivh
>> http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/games-menus-0.2-1.fc7.noarch.rpm
>>
>> Click on your menu goto games and enjoy. Also we should start fixing
>> our packages for games which show up in a strange place and start
>> filing bugs against other peoples packages, again for more info on how
>> to properly use the Categories field see:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2007-March/msg00003.html
>>

> I've actually been using this for the past week on two separate
> machines.  It's _greatly_ improved the usability of the Games menu,
> though I had to update a few of my packages to get them located in the
> right category.  :)

Good to hear!

> I'm left with two that I'm not sure how to categorize:
>
> neverball:  This is a 'roll the ball around a maze and avoid the traps'
> type of game.  it's not really a board game, so maybe 'logic & puzzles'
> would be the best fit?

Yes good question, I need to fix trackballs too, I gess logic and
puzzles is the best choice, shall we put both of them (trackballs and
neverball) there?

> xpilot:  it's like a multiplayer version of asteroids, on steroids.  It
> has the visual appearance of an arcade game, but much more complicated
> gameplay.

Arcade is very crowded, so I would say action. My rule kinda is:
If it isn't a straight forward clone of an arcade game -> action.

The mean reason for this is because for a while I've focused on
packaging true arcade clones and even with games-menus installed my
arcade menu has scroll arrows (I still need to recategorize some
packages, hopefully that will help).

Regards,

Hans