Icon for autodownloader?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 4 17:47:58 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Autodownloader doesn't seem to have a icon. I use a dock like panel
>> and it is much nicer and easier to identify apps which has icons
>> associated with them.
>>

> Erm, autodownloader doesn't have an icon as it is not intended to be
> directly invoked, it doesn't have a menu entry either. Instead apps
> which need files to be downloaded have a wrapper script which checks if
> the files are present, and if not invokes autodownloader and installs
> the files (under $HOME, so no root rights are needed). This wrapper
> scripts gets invoked by a menu entry which gets installed by the package
> of the app, using an icon from the app.
>
> I hope that clarifies things.

I understand what autodownloader is but in dock like applications,
example Avant window navigator in GNOME or Bagheera in KDE, big icons
are used to indicate currently running applications instead of the task
list.

Autodownloader when it's invoked can take a long time to download game
content esp over low bandwidth connections and it's useful to
differentiate it from other running applications. IIRC it was also a
recommended guideline for any dialog boxes to have unique icons
associated with them. Something to consider.

Rahul