Notes on games spin

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 21 08:13:21 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hans de Goede wrote:
>>

>>> Not in this case, thje idea is that the (error) dialog gets shown
>>> when the user tries to launch a 3d game from the menu.
>>>
>>> The idea is to create a generic wrapper script and then modify all
>>> opengl games to use this (atleast all in the kickstart file)
>>
>> I think this would way too annoying. I just want to provide a gentle
>> nag. Not to frustrate users every time they try to launch 3D games
>> which I suspect will happen if we modify all the related menu entries
>> to launch a dialog box.
>>

> Note that the dialog will _only_ be shown when dri (direct rendering) is
> not available, so if we wouldn't show the dialog (and not start the
> game) the user would get a slide show (software rendering) and
> navigating a menu with the mouse when you get 3 frames per second can be
> quite annoying.

Here is a alternative solution:

Login time, check whether DRI is enabled and popup a message "Your
system does not have open accelerated 3D drivers available or installed
on your system. This means that you will not able to play 3D games
efficiently. Click here for more information" and point them to a wiki
link in Fedora with more information.

Have a check box below saying "Don't remind me, next time" or just bring
this dialog box up only on first login for a new user.

Rahul