Notes on games spin

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Sep 21 17:20:12 UTC 2007

> (Thanks for the status info)
>
> What has been their response on the codec issue?

"NDA prevents us from saying anything about it" basically.

They can't even tell me what the hangup really is. It appears the
majority of the thing is open source libraries and standard SIP stuff,
so seems to me they could just drop in Speex instead of Siren14 and
everything would be swell. But... they can't comment on this.

I should note the binary blob is actually a completely independent
executable from the SL client, the SL client controls it through a TCP
socket, it makes its own connections to Vivox's servers and even outputs
its own audio. (apparently using OpenAL...) So the viewer itself is
still good for Fedora, we just don't get voice. (If you're really
desperate to get voice you can run the daemon with Wine, or since its
TCP, you can even run the voice daemon in VMware or a completely
separate physical box...)