Patent concerns

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 13:09:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 04:17 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:46 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> > or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> > crosses that point or line, and gets points.
> >
> > This means:
> >
> > No "Guitar Hero" clones.
> > No "Dance Dance Revolution" clones.
>
> You've got to be shitting me.
>
> ... So, how about if the "targets" stay still and the cursor moves? I
> think there's assloads of prior art on that...

No, the patent is pretty darned specific. Its "targets moving in a
straight line" to a "predetermined point or line", and the player having
to hit a button at that precise point or line to get points. If you're
shooting the target, doesn't apply. If there is cursor motion involved,
doesn't apply.

As far as I can tell, only DDR, Guitar Hero, and Donkey Konga games meet
this criteria, and I don't think we have anything like that in Fedora
currently. Am I wrong?

~spot