F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon May 5 17:08:13 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the debian-games list the last few months and sometimes
learn very interesting things there.

As some of you probably know OpenAL upstream, the SI (sample implementation) is
sortof dead. But recently someone has been doing a new OpenAL implementation,
and thats gaining lots of traction, so much traction even that upstream is
considering making this new implementation called OpenAL-soft the new recommend
implementation. Thus I would like to suggest switching to this new OpenAL for
F-10, for more on OpenAL-soft see:

http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2007-December/004977.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-February/010981.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-March/011019.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-April/011073.html

Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games list, which
lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they work with the new
OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html

So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for F-10 ?

Regards,

Hans