Proposal: Package The Loki Compatibility Libraries

Hamish Wilson hodchargh2004 at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 23 19:25:08 UTC 2010

Dear Fedora Gaming Special Interest
Group,

	I salute your efforts to make Fedora
one of the best Linux systems for gaming. I have had an idea to make
your support even better: package the Loki Compatibility Libraries.
Granted this would only help users in running commercial games, such
as the Loki Software and Hyperion game ports, but the libraries
themselves are not proprietary and are simply older versions of free
libraries that are needed by these ports to run repackaged. Case in
point, on SuperGamer it appears to include these libraries by
default. The Loki port of Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns runs beautifully
out of the box, as does Hyperion's port of SiN. I have been fighting to get these to
work on Fedora with very little success. I am not quite sure how
SuperGamer packages them, but I would love to be able to type into my
root terminal, say, "yum install loki-compat-libs" and
suddenly have these games work. I would be very happy if someone
looks into this.

Hamish Wilson