Is vegastrike working for anyone in F15 or rawhide?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 11 18:31:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:13:52 +0200,
  Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've been thinking about trying to revive the games SIG, try to
> build a group of interested people and do monthly irc meetings or
> something like that. It seems that many of the people who used to
> be involved in the games SIG have moved over to other roles within
> Fedora, so I think we need to attract some new contributors for
> the Games SIG. I think games are a good place to start for new packagers,
> and people tend to like games, so it should be possible
> to attract some fresh blood I hope.

I agree we need more help. And there is plenty of work suitiable for
new packagers to help out. I'd like to see the most experienced packagers
get their time freed up to work on tasks that need their skill.

I'd also like to see more enthusiasm on this list. It seems in the past
there were more discussions than there have been recently.

> The first thing to do would be to write some sort of the Games SIG
> is "hiring" email to fedora-devel. Does this sound like a good idea?

I think we'd want to reach out farther the devel, but that seems like a good
place to get a core group to get things going.

> I would be willing to help new contributors with interest in the Games
> SIG with the first few reviews and by sponsoring them.

That would be good. My sponsor may also help as in the past they have seemed
to be very good about sponsoring new people packaging games.

I am pretty sure comps could use some work as well. A couple of weeks ago
I was looking at things that appeared to be games (based on desktop files
and the group in the spec file) and some weren't listed in the games
group in comps. There were some fuzzy issues that ended up requiring more
time to finish this off than I had, so I didn't get all of the way to filing
bug reports. But that is a task that someone could do without becoming
a packager. Though for some of the borderline cases (game servers, language
packs, etc.) it would help if the SIG provided guidance.

I think the web pages for the sig which list games to use some tweaking
as well. The lists aren't complete and are probably dated. Being able to
generate the list of included games based on repo data might make more sense
than a manually maintained one. The wish list could use some goign over as
well. Some games on that list seemed to have stalled and may not be worth
the effort to package and there are new games that should probably get added.

Graphics driver support is also an issue that affects games. While the low
level stuff probably isn't appropriate for the Games SIG, if there are ways
we can help out the graphics driver guys, it would be good for us to do so.