Chess programs

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Mar 24 15:21:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:35:56 +0200,
  Olavi Halme <omhalme64 at kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I am a chess player from Finland and have operated many years with
> Fedora. My last system is Fedora 14 x86_64 and I have been very
> satisfied to it. But I have noticed that Fedora has only gnuchess and
> something other chess program.

'chess' is completely broken after F14. Upstream is dead and it needs to
be updated for more recent cegui and ogre. I still hope to do that, but
I haven't had time to work on it for quite a while.

'pychess' was recently orphaned, but might get picked up again.

'knights' is a fairly recent addition.

There could be other ones I am not aware of.

I don't play much chess, so I don't have recommendations for how any of these
fare against each other.

Be aware that Fedora only includes 'free' (freedom) software. Programs
that are commercial or free for noncommercial use, are not 'free' even if
there is no charge for them and will not be included in Fedora.