Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

Sylvain Beucler beuc at beuc.net
Wed May 4 12:14:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:13:28AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> 2) /usr/share/<gamename> versus /usr/share/games/<gamename>
>
> FHS: /usr/share/games	Static data files for /usr/games (optional)
>
> So it seems that from an FHS pov, this goes hand in hand
> with having a separate bin dir for games, in Fedora we've
> choosen the same route as with /usr/games and try to
> just but data files in a subdir directly under
> /usr/share. This seems the most consistent to us, since
> this is how most non game packages do things, and we don't
> see why games should be different here.

In Debian, most game packages use /usr/share/games/packagename, but as
far as I'm concerned this brought nothing but troubles (typically
.desktop files ended up installed in /usr/share/games/applications
instead of /usr/share/applications, additional paths to search when
the engine and data are developped independently, etc.).
I didn't see any pro in doing so.

I would gladly switch to /usr/share/packagename for game packages.

--
Sylvain