Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri May 6 07:11:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 05/05/2011 06:07 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:50:20 +0200,
>    Hans de Goede<hdegoede at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> My main reason for starting this discussion is to come to some sort
>> of agreement which form is the preferred form, so that we can have
>> some "how to be a good games upstream" webpage which addresses some
>> game specific things. I would like such a webpage to contain advice
>> for upstream what to use for the various ambiguities I've pointed
>> out in my first mail.
>
> If you do include one of these, please include something about how to
> design games to be installed system wide. Some games seem to be setup to
> run out of people's home directory and mix per user data (needing write
> access) with static data.

A valid point, although one that should be covered by more the generic
how to be a good upstream page Debian has. I guess it is worth repeating
on a game specific page though :)

Remember once I've written that page it is a wiki, so feel free to edit/
amend.

> Typically games with servers also don't have init support for running
> these through the normal init mechanism. (There are two packages I maintain
> that I specifically want to fix this issue for when I get time.)

I guess now a days they would need a systemd service file :)

Regards,

Hans