Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri May 6 07:28:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 05/06/2011 01:47 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2011 11:07:04 -0500
> Bruno Wolff III<bruno at wolff.to>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:50:20 +0200,
>>    Hans de Goede<hdegoede at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> My main reason for starting this discussion is to come to some sort
>>> of agreement which form is the preferred form, so that we can have
>>> some "how to be a good games upstream" webpage which addresses some
>>> game specific things. I would like such a webpage to contain advice
>>> for upstream what to use for the various ambiguities I've pointed
>>> out in my first mail.
>>
>> If you do include one of these, please include something about how to
>> design games to be installed system wide. Some games seem to be setup
>> to run out of people's home directory and mix per user data (needing
>> write access) with static data. I also ran across a minor secuirty
>> issue with a start up script that adds stuff to LDCONFIG (which
>> shouldn't even be needed for system installs) incorrectly.
>
> Debian doesn't have one specifically for games, but does have a page for
> upstreams [1]. Is this the sort of thing you're thinking about? If so
> it may contain some helpful starting points (or, for that matter, need
> expanding with your suggestions).
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Yes that is more or less what I have in mind. In general I think it
would be good to try to get a distro neutral version of this page
online at freedesktop.org, which the various distro specific wiki's
can then link too, but lets start with just a page with additional
advice for games.

Regards,

Hans