Doom engines

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Oct 2 16:13:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 08/29/2011 03:43 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 12:07 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> So if possible it would be great if you could make the necessary
>> changes, I will happily help were I can. I think putting the autodl
>> and launch scripts into a new doom-common package is a good idea.
>
> The launch script refers to vavoom by name and I am not sure how to
> package that generically so that it could use alternative engines but do
> take a look at what I have done
>
> http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/packages/doom-autodownloader-0.1-1.fc15.src.rpm

Sorry for the slow reply. I've taken a quick look, the basis looks good,
some remarks:
1) What provides /usr/bin/doom-engine, is the intend to use alternatives for this?
I think that is a good idea, but we then need to also provide a wrapper script
per engine with standardized cmdline options for specifying for example the datadir where
the wad files are. As the actual options for this may differ per engine. We could try
to see if there is some compatibility between at least chocolate and vavoom and choose
to use a compatible option (if available) in the download + launch script to avoid the
need for a wrapper script.
2) I had the idea that we would also move the heretic shareware, hexen demo and strife-demo
autodl and launch scripts there. They could then use their own /usb/bin/heretic-engine, etc. for this
which would again be provided by alternatives. My reasons fir suggesting also moving these there, are:
a) It is consistent
b) AFAIK other doom engines can play for example heretic too

So how to move forward with this. I'm afraid I've other priorities, so I hope you
can make some time for this. If you can do a new version based on the above comments,
and also a proposed patch for vavoom to move vavoom over to using this, then I'll review
the new package and add the changes to vavoom, does that sound like a good idea?

Note I promise to be quicker with responding the next time around.

Regards,

Hans