[Fedora-haskell-list] attempt at a ghc-DBus spec

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 03:48:24 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

Sorry for not responding quicker.

Yes, you picked a hard one to start with... :)

This is how I did it:

/home/petersen/pkgreview/ghc-DBus/ghc-DBus-0.4-1.fc14.src.rpm
(needs more changelog entries).

Basically one needs to jump through:

- add pkgconfig directive in .cabal
- patch throwDyn use to Control.OldException for ghc > 6.12
- fix pthread linker script (Fedora specific(?))

Note it still doesn't load in ghci but at least that allow
you to link DBus - perhaps someone can work out that last niggle?
I don't think it is a blocker for package review though.
(So pthread seems even harder than ncurses in ghc-terminfo.)

Feel free to ask more questions or to base a package
submission on the above.

Hth, Jens

----- "R. Andrew Bailey" <bailey at akamai.com> wrote:
>   DBus-0.4 includes an autoconf configure script, which produces a
>   DBus.buildinfo file. That file appears to contain the correct
> values
>   for cc-options and ld-options, but when the subsequent Setup.hs
> build
>   runs, the values are ignored, and the build fails missing
>   dbus/dbus.h, although dbus-devel is installed.
>
>   As a temporary workaround, I adjusted the cabal_configure macro to
>   pass --extra-include-dirs, and the build completes
>   successfully. However, when I then try to import DBus into xmonad,
>   all the libdbus-1 symbols are undefined, and running ldd against
>   libHSDBus-0.4-ghc6.12.3.so, I don't see libdbus-1 in the list. I
>   wonder if there's something special I need to do to get it to link
>   with the shared libdbus-1?
>
>   I've tried a I think this was probably a bad first package to
>   attempt, and I'm hoping perhaps someone on the list may have a
>   working spec file for this one already.
>

>   Thanks in advance!
>   .andy

Delivering value year after year.