[Fedora-haskell-list] merging prof into devel, and coming packaging changes

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed May 11 08:10:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

For Fedora 16, I am thinking to merge all the -prof subpackages
into the -devel subpackages to simplify the packaging and reduce
the number of packages that need to be installed to build for fedora.
This will probably be done together with an update to ghc-7.0.3.

Now that all libraries have been subpackaged (including ghc)
for F14 and onwards I don't think it is a problem to do this.

If there any concerns on this change - now would be a good
time to speak up! :)

At the same time I am planning packaging changes after F15 is released
(ie as F13 moves to EOL) at least for rawhide
but they should also work already now back to F14:
- drop ghc_pkg_deps: redundant now by ghc-deps.sh
  (ghc-deps.sh has been backport to F14 without package hashes)
- replace "BR: ghc, ghc-prof, ghc-doc" by "BR: ghc-Cabal-devel" for faster builds in koji
  (only downside is deps from ghc also will need to be listed too now)
- list deps as "BR: ghc-*-prof" explicitly instead
- tweak cabal2spec to fill in the deps

New ghc-rpm-macros from F14 will also be backported to epel6
as will the subpackaged ghc.  So that this will also work there.

Comments welcome.

Thanks, Jens