[Fedora-haskell-list] friendlier ghc packaging

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 05:44:33 UTC 2011

Hi,

Yesterday I received a F16 bug report from
a user annoyed that the ghc-QuickCheck binary
package didn't do anything for him, so to speak.

My first response was he should just install
ghc-QuickCheck-devel of course, but after pondering
a little and thinking between the lines of other
indirect feedback, I realised that the current
ghc packaging is not really so newbie friendly.
(Though new users should really be installing
haskell-platform or so the official line goes,
but that is not always so obvious.)

Anyway I decided to respond to the feedback and change
the current ghc packaging, so that the ghc base package
will now pull in all of ghc.: it is now just a meta-package
that pulls in ghc-compiler and ghc-libraries.

So basically the new renaming is: current ghc.arch -> ghc-compiler.arch
and ghc-devel.arch -> ghc-libraries.arch.

Hopefully this will give the best of both worlds:
if you want all of ghc, just install ghc, otherwise
(also for mock and koji) we still have the minimal ghc-compiler
and subpackaged ghc libraries to minimize build overhead.

Better?

Jens