[Fedora-haskell-list] New fedora haskell mailing list for discussion!

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 02:06:35 UTC 2012

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your mail.

> The naming scheme seems a bit unintuitive, to someone used to the
> naming of our other mailing lists. Perhaps haskell-discuss or
> haskell-sig?

I see, perhaps we should have given it more thought
and discussed it first on haskell-devel list...
I'd just had this on my "todo" list for a long time
and was glad to finally action it! :)

> Renaming haskell-devel to haskell-scm, I guess, would not work as it
> gets Cc:ed on Bugzilla mail as well, as you have just noted.

Actually bugzilla and FAS are still using fedora-haskell-list at r.c
and should be changed to point to the fedora mailing list.

So in that sense maybe renaming haskell-devel to haskell-bugs
could also be an option.  I am not sure how good mailman
is about renaming its lists though, but probably it is possible.

[It would be good if Fedora had a proper naming scheme for
its naming lists but it doesn't seem to have a consistent one.
And noone consulted us about the name "haskell-devel" which
I didn't find particularly intuitive either (to me "haskell-devel"
implies/suggests the existence of some other mailing list
(eg haskell or haskell-discuss, etc), but I assume the intention
was to make give somewhat specific names to the lists to show
their intended topic).]

If we renamed haskell-devel to haskell-bugs say (I never
worked yet how to get scm commits to reach haskell-devel)
do you still think we need to rename "haskell" list?

I am ok with "haskell" or "haskell-discuss" (somehow
"haskell-sig" sounds a bit exclusive - I'd like to see
generally interested Fedora users not just those directly
involved in packaging also joining the list to follow and
contribute to discussion.

How do people think?

Jens