[Fedora-haskell-list] update on haskell-platform-2011.4, templates, macros, and ARM

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 07:23:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

This mail is a little lately but here are a few items of news and recent
Fedora Haskell related developments:

* As previously mentioned I built haskell-platform-2011.4 for F17 rawhide recently.
This was quite a lot of work to do all the rebuilds needed
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HaskellPlatform2011.4

* cblrepo tool helped a lot to work out an ordered list of packages that needed rebuilding.
I have imported cblrepo metadata for current releases into haskell-sig.git.
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=haskell-sig.git;a=tree;f=cblrepo
There is an update script/hack too which works.  (If you want to use it
note you first need to generate package version data in "packages/".)

* cabal2spec-0.25.2 has been in rawhide for a little while now
and I am pushing updates for F16 and F15 too - it requires
the latest ghc-rpm-macros which are ready to be pushed to stable.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2012-0141/ghc-rpm-macros-0.15.2-1.fc16

If you look at the templates in http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=cabal2spec.git;a=tree
you can see that I factored out some new macros:

%ghc_devel_package
%ghc_devel_description

%ghc_devel_post_postun

%ghc_files

This makes things more concise than the current stable verbose templates
but still keeps the same flexible while handling archs with and without
shared libraries in a cleaner way.  I hope people will like this.

I have already updated quite a lot packages in rawhide with these
macros so there should be plenty of examples of usage available.
I am also planning to update our draft Packaging Guidelines again for this.

* ghc has been built for F15 ARM!
I expect to have all packages that can build done for F17.
ghc-7.4 will provide better support for ARM with llvm-3.0.

* Finally: originally I was thinking of doing ghc74 for F17 but I think now
it will be better, more realistic, and less work to wait for F18 and an official
Haskell Platform release for ghc-7.4 first.  In the meantime I may try
to create a testing repo for ghc-7.4.1 after it is released.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GHC74

After all this I hope we can now continue our packaging efforts
specially for web frameworks moving. :)

Happy New Year!

Thanks, Jens