some updates

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 13:47:15 UTC 2014

> * cabal-0.8.7 is out and in updates-testing now for 1 week.
> Main new feature is an install command which tries to install
> any missing system dependencies before running "cabal install".
> (0.8.8 will make that a bit less strict so it doesn't fail
> when there are dependencies which are not yet packaged.)

cabal-0.8.7 is now stable in F20 Updates.
Let me know if you find any problems with it.

> * ghc-7.0.4 and cabal-install for EPEL5
> I spent a little at the end of last month backporting
> ghc-7.0.4 from EPEL6 to EPEL5 (this may will be the last
> ghc update I do for RHEL5 but we shall see).

I respun the packages so that it is now using gcc44
and building shared libraries again.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2013-12484/ghc-7.0.4-45.3.el5

Testing is welcome.

> * Triaging of URM bugs
> There are a lot of version updates bugs open in bugzilla.
> I spent some time gradually triaging them and there are now
> currently only 9 more left to triage (belonging to others)
> (there were dozens when I started).  This time I am using
> the Whiteboard field to tag updates for f21.  So if one of your
> package update bugs has f21 in the Whiteboard it means I believe
> it is good to go into F21, but you don't need to build it yet
> unless you are able and willing to rebuild/bump its reverse
> dependencies too as usual. :)

I meant to give some details about the triaging process since
updating Haskell packages built by ghc with reverse dependencies
is a little tricky/tedious.

1. I usually check for new depends first, ie new build dependencies
   not yet in Fedora: cblrpm meant help for this since it tries to
   install new depends before building.

2. Check revdeps: I use http://packdeps.haskellers.com/reverse/<package> for this.
   It is not perfect (it only checks latest package versions)
   but still good for catching packages that still need older versions of libs.

3. That is usually enough for Rawhide.  For current releases
   I highly recommend rebuilding stacks locally or in mock and installing.