Best way to install and work with Haskell

Jens-Ulrik Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 01:25:06 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

Sorry completely missed your post in May!!
haskell-devel list is largely just used for bugzilla mail these days,
so better to post to the Fedora haskell list next time.

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Martin Cigorraga
<martincigorraga at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Haskell and I would like to know what would be the best way
> to install and work with it.
> For example with Python I set virtual environments so I can work
> relaxed there with the confidence that nothing will be broken at
> system level; I can work then with different versions of the
> libraries, keep things generally more clean, etc.
> Is there something like this for Haskell? Should I set similar
> environments or I am good to go by just installing the GHC related
> packages (and some useful extras like haskell-platform)?

I think it largely comes down to whether you are happy with the
current GHC version in Fedora
or really require the latest release.  Due to release schedules and manpower
Fedora is often one ghc release behind...

If the latest GHC version is not a big issue for you then I think you
can just use cabal-install (including sandboxes)
to have "environments" for different packages.  These days I would
also recommend trying
the stack tool (it is not packaged yet for Fedora but I have a copr repo):
note that stack can also install current ghc for you automatically.

There do also exist various Haskell env related tools allowing you to
have multiple versions of ghc
installed and switching between - though I haven't used them much myself.

Cheers and hope this still helps,

Jens