[Fedora-i18n-list] Not Working in KDE Apps (on upgrade) SOLVED

morpheus morpheus at post.harvard.edu
Sat Nov 27 03:01:51 UTC 2004

> > user1$ LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 httx &
> Please try LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8. UTF-8 is the correct encoding locale.

Yes, I am a stupid-head.
After staring at the screen for so long, I didn't notice that when I did
cat ~/.i18n as root, I got:
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
but as user1, I got:
LANG=ja_JP.UTF8

I should have done a diff, but it's only one damn line...As you
suggested, when I added the hyphen, it is fixed.  And, now I can finally
type Japanese in konsole as well, my first time ever!  No more ls then
copy/paste for Japanese file names!!!

While I get myself massively drunk to celebrate, I will remember to
toast you all for your help.

Yes, we should add this to the FAQ, or better yet, we should start a
documentation project to produce a howto.  I would be willing to
contribute in English and Japanese.

-m

PS - There's a "legend" that a missing comma in some NASA FORTRAN code
caused the Mariner spacecraft to crash on Venus in the 70's...anyone
know if it's true?