[Fedora-i18n-list] OpenOffice in spanish environtment

Alejandro Regodesebes aregodesebes at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Nov 27 13:16:57 UTC 2004

Hi everybody!

I installed FC3 (full install) and got the updates,
but there is a problem which is still unresolved. In a
 Spanish environment (that is Spanish language and
Spanish keyboard), when iiim service is active,
OpenOffice.org doesn't print the “ñ” character (the
“n” with the “~” above, in case you can't see the
character in this email), but instead prints the “A”
an the “plus-minus” characters. The same occurs when
you try to write some symbols, like the degree symbol.
Accented characters, however, seen to works fine.

But, and here is the main problem, when I turn the
iiim service off, this characters prints correctly but
the accented characters doesn't appears anymore!

A similar problem was already in FC2, but in that
version OpenOffice.org worked fine when I turned iiim
off, and I know, from reading the Spanish discussion
list of Ooo, that I'm not the only user with this
problem.

I've tried installing Ooo from the main OpenOffice.org
site, and following the instructions from the
iimf-FAQ, but nothing happened.

Another problem: since my country (Argentina) had
signed some commercial accords with China, learning
Chinese is becoming a massive phenomena, just in the
university where I works the number of students of
Chinese is growing exponentially moth after moth. So
this is a great opportunity for free software. What is
needed is to use FC3 in Spanish environment, with
OpenOffice.org in Spanish, and to be able to switch
between Spanish and Chinese (both, traditional and
simplified) for writing in Ooo (using pinyin).

But I can't switch the input method in iiimf. In
gnome, when I try to add languages to gimlet, the list
is empty. In KDE, some applications like kedit appears
to works fine (switching between Spanish and Chinese),
but OpenOffice.org doesn't. The version that came with
FC3 opens, you can switch from Spanish to iiimf, but
when I try to select any language from the list in the
little window that appears, the programs just hangs.
In the OOo version from the official site, I can
switch with CTRL + space, but I can't put it in
pinyin. With the old xcin method, calling Ooo from a
script, Ooo works (but that is too difficult for the
“average MS-Windows user”). However, in every case the
problem of printing the special characters that I had
mentioned before remains.

Any idea? Thanks everybody (and please forget my basic
English). Thanks.