[Fedora-i18n-list] Call for a Fedora I18n meeting

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jun 26 17:24:40 UTC 2007

Le mardi 26 juin 2007 à 12:53 -0400, Warren Togami a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le Lun 25 juin 2007 10:09, Jens Petersen a écrit :
> >> We are thinking that it would be a good to have a meeting of
> >> the Fedora I18n project to discuss various technical issues openly.
> >>
> >> Some of the things to discuss include:
> >>
> >> - installation package defaults
> >> - input method desktop defaults and configuration (xinput/im-chooser)
> >> - renaming of fonts-* to reflect upstream projects
> >> - adding a IM package group?
> >
> > I'd like to attend, but probably only could in the evening (western
> > european time). I'd like the following topics discussed:
> >
> > + extented (multimedia) key Fedora target (wait-and-see, active Fedora
> > push, to evdev or not to evdev?)
> >
> > + font policy/comps i18n group organisation -> some fonts bring
> > support for scripts used by existing desktop locales, others for
> > scripts associated to langages we don't have localisation for
> > (tiffinagh, n'ko, inuktikut, tibetan?), others are purely decorative
> > and no one will use them in real life by default, others are for
> > historical scripts (dead languages, medieval variants, old greek,
> > church scripts...). How all this stuff is supposed to be organised in
> > comps? How will it appear in anaconda/yum guis?
>
> These are legitimate issues, but we need to limit the scope of this
> meeting if we are going to tackle the highest priority problems before F8.

Well, I do i18n fonts, so I sort of need to know where I fit in :)

and to evdev or not is linked to IM anyway.

> > + what to do when upstream is dormant or end-user unfriendly? Where
> > and how should user feedback be directed? Do we need a Fedora-level
> > i18n technical hub? Do we have the resources for it? (hunspell dicts,
> > xkb maps, console maps, abandonware fonts, etc)
> >

> This is an issue that effects more than just i18n, perhaps FESCo should
> discuss and create general policy instead?

It's a general issue, but it's much worse for i18n. Good i18n absolutely
requires locals to report problems, and the people most likely to do the
best reports are also the most likely to be put of by the technical
english interfaces technical testers use.

Also some resources like fonts and dicts have pretty much the worst
possible upstreams on the maintenance scale (having OO.o as dict source
is a joke, OO.o does not have the resources to support dicts and some of
them are not even bundled with OO.o due to licensing clashes)

--
Nicolas Mailhot