IBus UI review

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 20:17:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 11:19 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> MC> - There is no way to switch back to "no input method" from the status
> MC> icon. I have to press Ctrl-space to go back. Maybe add an "None" entry
> MC> at the bottom of the menu ?
>
> I'm not sure what you expect to "no input method" though, if
> it's something like "Disable input method" at im-chooser, it
> won't work as expected. probably imsettings applet may wants
> to integrate the status icon with IM-specific operations
> such as changing engines etc. or do you want a kind of
> "English" entry as SCIM has?

I was basically looking for a way to do what the "trigger" key does. If
"English" is an appropriate description of that, then sure. But I doubt
that "English" is the right name when I'm e.g. logged in in German.

> MC> - Why do input methods seem to fancy these weird undecorated floating
> MC> toolbars ? Does it add anything that is not already present in the
> MC> status icon ?
>
> Yes, it does. and it's supposed to provide similar feature
> in SCIM and IMs where is running at Windows say. which
> provides facilities to change various conditions such as the
> input-mode, style etc.

Ok. Would it not be better to provide this functionality through the
status icon as well ? Having to places related to im control (the status
icon in the upper left, and the toolbar somewhere else) seems
suboptimal. And the naked toolbar looks really quite foreign to anybody
who hasn't had years of conditioning by other im frameworks...

> MC> - Alternatively, if we can't get rid of im-chooser by default, maybe
> MC> ibus-setup should not have its own menu item (I notice that scim-setup
> MC> doesn't have one either), since it is available via im-chooser.
>
> I'd prefer this idea since other IMs follows that.

It would be so much better to have one input method framework, and make
that work for everything, rather than wrapping a framework selection
framework around it. I think I have stated that opinion several times
already...

I'll see about filing some of my comments as bugs tonight. Feel free to
close them if they have already been handled.

Matthias