[Fedora-india] Nirma Institute talk

Venkatesh Hariharan venky at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 05:04:36 UTC 2007

Recently I gave a talk at the Nirma University which was attended by
around 100 students. On a whim, I asked the students if they used
Firefox and around 80 hands went up. For OpenOffice and Linux the
respective numbers were 20 and 10.

Later on, I asked the students if they were using Firefox because the
college had mandated it. Their answer was that they were using it
because they really liked it.

That set me thinking on what makes open source software really popular.
Is it when it crosses the chasm from being just "good enough" to "really
likeable"?

Venky