Free Media: deeper nexus between ambassadors & mirror admins

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:04:15 UTC 2008

I keep hearing and reading about the huge amount of open requests in
the Free Media program. I was wondering whether a deeper nexus between
the ambassadors and the mirror administrators would help to improve
the situation.

We can have an arrangement where after every stable release the
mirrors admins send snapshots of their mirrors to some "select"
ambassadors. These ambassadors can then re-distribute the content
further down the tree.

Most amabassadors are volunteers and may be bandwidth constrained. So
it might be cheaper to send a snapshot in 3-4 DVDs via snail mail than
having to do the equivalent amount of downloading. In case the media
request has originated from a place geograhically close to a mirror,
the ambassadors can simply redirect them to the relevant mirror
facility.

Someday one can extend this to the idea of getting seed content for
new mirrors from pre-existing ones.

Comments?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
 -- Arthur Ashe